Wow we’ve got one week left at school and then a wonderful summer of fun to create! I love this time of year when I get my children to myself and can enjoy lazy mornings and doing whatever we want to, but I do have to get my thinking cap on for things to do together that don’t all cost a bomb.
We’re lucky to have quite a few trips planned after a year of hard work on the business; time at the beach in Dorset where Tom’s family have holidayed for years, a family sun holiday abroad, a visit to my aunty in Northumberland where we’ll explore the beautiful coastline and countryside, and a stay at the family farm of some dear friends in Scotland.
I thought I’d share with you my ideas for filling the rest of our time (though the number 1 activity is our amazing ExplorerBoxes of course!) I don’t think we’ll quite get through all of these so will save some for October half term too.
Has anyone got any other great ideas to add to our list? We’re always keen to hear about and try new things.
Activities at home (I've added links and Instagram accounts where useful):
- Play doh - still a favourite with our little ones even though our eldest is 5 and a half
- Lego - we find this is most enjoyed when tipped out in a heap on the floor for freestyle building!
- Hama beads - lots of variations available - our last project was a monkey - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Beads-Complete-Activity-Kit/dp/B06VWHY6X3/ref=mp_s_a_1_38?keywords=hama+beads+kit&qid=1562407336&s=gateway&sr=8-38
- Aqua beads - also lots of variations available from @aquabeadsuk - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquabeads-32788-Beginners-Studio-Various/dp/B078J1DNLF/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=aqua+beads&qid=1562407201&s=gateway&sr=8-3
- Growing @insectlore butterflies - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insect-Lore-10416-Butterfly-Garden/dp/B00000ISC5/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=insect+lore+butterfly+garden&qid=1562417618&s=gateway&sprefix=insectlore+butter&sr=8-3
- Growing triops with @mylivingworlduk - https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Living-World-Triop/dp/B00CP6A836/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=triops&qid=1562407900&s=gateway&sr=8-3
- Making a wormery with @mylivingworlduk - there are also ant, snail, spider and ladybird kits too - https://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Living-World-Worm/dp/B00008OS3W/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=wormery&qid=1562417467&s=gateway&sprefix=wormery&sr=8-4
- Growing sunflowers or vegetables - our youngest loves watering the sunflowers every day
- Face painting - we use @officialsnazaroo
- Air dry clay modelling - make whatever takes your fancy from fossils to bowls to model animals - our youngest’s favourite animal is a pig so we made one and painted it glittery pink
- Junk modelling - we have a stash of junk, beads, ribbons, sequins, eyes, feathers, pipe cleaners etc to make whatever we fancy
- Activity books and magazines - we love @okidomagazine at the mo and also the wipe clean pen control/letters/numbers books - Usbourne do loads like this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wipe-Clean-Control-Wipe-clean-Books/dp/1409582604/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=wipe+clean+books+for+children&qid=1562417854&s=gateway&sprefix=wipe+clean&sr=8-2
- Collecting rocks and decorating them with @posca_uk pens - great if you’re planning a visit to a stony beach
- Making the family meal / healthy snacks together - so great to get the kids involved in family cooking
- Paddling pool in the garden - simple and always a favourite. We’ve made a ball run / water flume with old guttering for extra fun and also use our slide as a water slide into the pool
- Yoga - when our two boys ask for screen time we try to encourage them to do some @cosmickidsyoga on YouTube
- Fishing in the pond/stream/lake
- Nature walk. Do you have a local wildlife trust centre as they often host great activities?
- Strawberry picking
- Bike ride
- Go ape high ropes challenge
- Country/farm park or National Trust
- Crazy golf
- Park tennis/football/cricket
- Lots of parks around us are starting to have splash zones which are a huge hit in the summer
- Rowing boat/kayak on the lake or river
- Pony rides at the local stables
Indoors activities - just in case it rains:
- Soft play
- Trampolining centre
- Roller / ice skating
- Pottery painting
However you choose to spend your time we hope you have a really great summer filled with adventure and giggles. Fingers crossed the weather stays lovely!